Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Where" doesn't matter anymore ...

Or so it seems. Does it matter if I type this in on a computer at home or the office I have somewhere else? Or on someone else's machine or even (with a higher-cost cell service I haven't chose to pay for yet) from my phone? What you see "here" is the same, either way.

It's just me, you see, isn't it? Where doesn't matter hardly at all these days. In fact, "where" only comes in to the story when I post photographs for you to see that show a particular location. And rarely, do the photographs even indicate a specific place.

Remember how news accounts used to always start with a byline of the name of the correspondent and the location it was filed from? It gave credibility to the account ... if the reporter was writing about something happening in the Transvaal and filed it from Boring, Oregon (which really DOES exist!), what credibility would he have had? When you read new articles now (well, if you do), do you ever even notice the byline, the "where"? I realized sometime ago I had stopped looking at those from major news outlets. I asked a couple people in a coffeehouse if they checked the bylines ... and they were puzzled ... I had to point to the byline and explain what it was to them.

Clearly, my little sampling of two coffeehouse paper readers had never looked at a byline. And I'm writing this from home on account of my body not quite rejecting this stupid cold as I would have preferred. The location, the "where", of the cold, now ... that MATTERS!

And that you are "here" reading this, that matters too. Your being "here" is everything!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment